St. Kitts and Nevis is showcased as a golf destination
03 March 2015
Teams of PGA club professionals and amateur golfers, along with their guests have all enjoyed the lush natural beauty and warm hospitality of St. Kitts and Nevis during the fifth annual St. Kitts & Nevis Pro-Am Tournament, held on both islands of the Federation in February 2015.
The event is held to build awareness of the twin-island nation within the lucrative, niche golf-travel market. Racquel Brown, CEO of the St. Kitts Tourism Authority states; “Considering that we have a new championship course which is on schedule to open this year, Irie Fields at Kittitian Hill, and another championship course at Christophe Harbour slated to open in 2016 on St. Kitts, it is critical that we promote our product now."
The five-day team tournament is held annually, and allows PGA club professionals and three amateurs to pair up to compete against other teams from golf clubs across the U.S, Canada and the Caribbean.
Participants, guests and sponsors were treated to warm hospitality and fantastic golf, alongside nightly parties, on-course hospitality stations, and player gift bags filled with prizes valued at more than $400 USD. They also explored the island, going zip-lining and dining out at restaurants from Carambola Beach Club to Fisherman's Wharf.
In conjunction with existing courses, the Irie Fields Golf Club at Kittitian Hill, designed by former Masters Champion Ian Woosnam, and the Tom Fazio designed course at Christophe Harbour, will form a spectacular quartet of world class golf courses, each of which is adjacent to luxury resorts and residential developments.
In 2014, LINKS Magazine included St. Kitts & Nevis in its newly created ranking of the Top 25 Islands in the world for golf travel and it is one of just seven Caribbean islands on the list.
The twin-island Federation has recently appeared in a number of must-visit lists and rankings.
- St. Kitts is currently ranked, with sister island Nevis, at #3 on a list of the Best Islands in the World – US News
- #3 on a list of the Best Caribbean Vacations – US News
- #7 on a list of the Best Beach Honeymoon Destinations in the World – US News
- #8 on a list of Best Caribbean Honeymoons – US News
- #8 on a list of the Best Affordable Caribbean Destinations by US News & World Report – US News
- #7 among the Hottest Places to Travel this Winter by CNN Money based on bookings received by Virtuoso - CNN
- #8 on a list of the Top 10 Best Islands for a Holiday by Places To See In Your Lifetime
- #14 on a list of the 50 Travel Destinations That Will Be Huge In The Next 10 Years – BusinessInsider.com
- #8 on a list of the 25 Best Caribbean Islands by Business Insider
- One of the Top 12 Best Caribbean Vacations on FlipKey.com, the vacation rental company of leading travel website, TripAdvisor®.
- One of the top 15 Emerging Travel Hotspots for 2015 by The Huffington Post
- #34 of the 52 Places to Go in 2015 by the New York Times
- St. Kitts received the "Innovative Destination of the Year" Award in Caribbean Journal's Caribbean Travel Awards 2014
Located in the northern Leeward Islands of the Caribbean, the Federation of St. Kitts and Nevis offers a diverse tourism product developed from the destination's natural beauty, cultural heritage and rich history.
The islands’ stunning variety of tourism attractions include hiking through the tropical rainforest, riding the scenic railway that connects the island's former sugar plantations, visiting the Caribelle Batik factory, and touring Brimstone Hill Fortress National Park, the only man-made UNESCO World Heritage Site in the Eastern Caribbean. Among the more traditional vacation pastimes available are watersports, golf, shopping, tennis, dining, gaming at St. Kitts' exclusive casino or simply relaxing on a sandy beach. Accommodations range from intimate plantation inns to larger hotels and resorts.